Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Team Do Stuff

I work for an accounting firm. Many of you know this. I work a lot and regardless of what I may say I learn a lot. In fact my time here has been good for a lot of reasons. In fact, I would recommend this job for a lot of people. Big 4 accounting consistently falls on the top 5 of best places to launch a career with Financial Banking following a close second. I start out making more then the average american family of four, but for my degree get paid less than market. It's a trade. I concede some weekends out of the year and they make me one of the most marketable young people in business. By the time I'm 35 on average I could probably be making around 250k plus bonuses and stock options. Looking at the executive board of my Client almost the entire Company came from a Big 4 Accounting Firm. The CEO of my Company in 2007 got roughly 27 million. And I don't want any of it.

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.

-Leon Joseph Cardinal Suenens

I've always had a knack for spotting opportunity. I have an entrepreneurial spirit that is backed by a conservative pragmatism. I have an eye for finding good people. Doing business better than the competition in my opinion comes down to a few key things:

1) Hiring the right people (far and away the number one quality)

2) Having connections

3) Doing things with an attention to quality while being timely

4) Exceeding expectations

There are many more obviously, but if a Company does all these things they have a lot going right for them. Half of small business last for less than one year typically do too under funding and a lack of preparation in my opinion, and another large portion of what's left doesn't make it past year three. I don't have the naivety of throwing something together and making it work. It takes time, training, patience, and planning.

I give myself four more years to come up with a plan at the latest. I'm still thinking/working on my restaurant idea and also hope to help Vas start his industrial design firm within 10 years. First and foremost I'm focusing on acquiring the tools I need for all these things which is getting my CPA. After that is passed then I switch my focus to reading books ..ing business (The Art of the Start) and begin writing a business plan (anywhere from 1-5 years from start to finish depending on quality).

No comments:

Post a Comment