Monday, January 24, 2011

Lessons from Vancouver #3- Moments


This is my last post from my trip to Vancouver

As we rode on the bus back to Vancouver I couldn’t help but look out the window at the amazing scenery around me. I don’t know if living here I could ever get used to the bay surrounded by snow covered mountains. It looked like a postcard honestly. Regardless, I was thankful to be on a bus and not in the elements; it was raining and 30 degrees outside. A sharp wind made the rain pierce your clothes like tiny knives regardless of how many layers you wore.

So I was surprised as we pulled up to a secluded bus stop along the railroad track and saw a lone individual standing in a jacket, head down, trying hard to battle the harsh conditions. You could tell the individual had been there awhile and the walk couldn’t have been short as the bus stop was on a railroad track in a remote area. We hadn’t seen anyone on any of these stops there or coming back so seeing a person out in this weather caught my attention. As our bus pulled up an older woman looked at the doors through her coat with a smile on her face. Eventually her gaze was rewarded as her husband, old himself, waddled down the stairs. They embraced in the rain, he kissed her on the cheek, and she smiled; smiled in a way that comes from a long deep rooted love that makes waiting in 30 degree rain worth it. It seemed to happen in slow motion. As the bus pulled away the two began down the railroad tracks hand in hand, surely now the wind didn't seem so cold.

Of all that I saw this was probably the most poignant moment for me. You see we live in a beautiful and amazing world. As I said before, it’s important to see and experience all you can. It will change you for the better. At the end of the day as your life comes to an end remember what’s truly important. Focus on your goals, but remember that the lives we touch and the way we change the world for others is what will stand the test of time. Don’t take those moments for granted. There is always another mountain to see, but the moments that are limited and the most special are the ones we share with those we care most about. And it’s also the easiest thing to take for granted. Don’t ever take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment