Thursday, February 12, 2009

What are You Afraid Of

When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

What are you afraid of? I sat there and asked myself that question. I recently read a great article that I highly recommend titled the Courage to Live Consciously by Steve Pavlina, and it inspired me. What do I fear, is this fear reasonable, and would I benefit from breaking it. A lot of things came to mind; the first thing that caught my attention was skydiving. I have always been deftly afraid of the idea. I always want to be in control and I fear trusting others. Including someone else who has essentially packed my life in a small backpack. Is this a legitimate fear? Not really. People don’t die from this all the time. In fact, I would imagine there is a similar percentage of fatal car accidents.

So I’m doing it on the 21st. I’ve already signed up and made the reservation. I want to start peeling the layers off my fears until I realize that the fear was created by me. Things that I thought weren’t possible were due to my mind limiting myself. I’ve got my next big thing in mind already, but I’ll get there in another post. Until then bombs away.

No comments:

Post a Comment