Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lottery



One of the things that always happens during the audit busy season is teams pool money together and buy lottery tickets. It’s sort of a little ticket of hope as you work those late nights. Well the lottery is extremely high at the moment (204.6 million) so my team has gone back to this practice. We essentially have an agreement that if we win we will pay for the team to go to Greece for a month; with a minimum of a one day excursion on a yacht. We then asked eachother the question of what would you do if you won.

I’ve always had an answer for what I would do if money weren’t an object and I could do something for a day, but couldn’t keep anything afterward. I would fly a bunch of friends and family to a cool destination (Italy or Spain) and fly world famous chefs in and throw a monster party. Since I have one day I would want to maximize the happiness of as many people as possible.

If I won the lottery I’m not sure what I would do. I know I would invest roughly 50-80% of the earnings. I would set aside some to donate to causes that I care about. I actually would like to think that I would stick with my job. I enjoy what I am doing now and where I am going. If I had a better idea I would be doing it. I would probably drop my ’99 CRV (I KEEP IT CLEAN) for a new vehicle; maybe go live in a foreign country for awhile. It’s hard to say though what you would do when you get THAT MUCH money. 1-3 million is one thing, but 200 million is ridiculous.

I’ve often read that if you have a clear cut picture of what you would do career wise if you won; that you should pursue that career because that is what you are passionate about. People who are passionate about what they do are the most successful in their industry. So ya I’m not 100% sure what I would do, but I’ll let you know on Saturday.

PS. The lottery is a REALLY REALLY bad investment; entertainment purposes only!

No comments:

Post a Comment