Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just Four More Days!


In four days the football season officially begins. I am so excited about it. I’m what you would call a big fan. I’ve missed one A&M home game in 8 years. That’s a solid streak. The only game I missed was the 2002 Oklahoma game where A&M knocked off number 1 Oklahoma. Perhaps the biggest game in A&M history and definitely the biggest win while I was in school. I guess as a conciliation prize I was on the first Aggie team to place in mock trial and made the national video (hooray?).

It’s hard to verbalize how much or why I love Aggie Football so much, but a lot of it has to do with how much I love A&M. Both my parents went there and ever since I had a concept of college I wanted to attend A&M. I recall watching A&M take on Texas every Thanksgiving. Football is the embodiment of your schools spirit and fight going against another team. To be part of an 80,000 capacity stadium screaming for your team. There’s something special about that. For four hours you get to be part of something bigger than yourself. I understand completely why people who went to smaller schools don’t care as much. They aren’t watching their team. They have no inherent connection. I hate to see the Aggies lose, but even when we have a losing season the experience is so much more than that. Just seeing guys out there giving their all is enough for me. Win or lose I’ll be there. In fact, one of my main concerns with working abroad would be breaking my streak. I would do it, but I wouldn’t be happy for it and would definitely fly back for a New Year’s day bowl or better.

Aggie Football will always represent the bond shared with fellow aggies, my parents, and those early years when I sat there with my dad supporting a team I always dreamed of being a part of. For those of you who share the passion good luck to your respective teams unless you’re playing the Aggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment