Thursday, June 11, 2009

Keys To Happiness #1 Finding Your Passion- Part 2

On Tuesday we talked about Finding Your Passion. Lets look now at Application.

So this is all good and great, but how does it apply to us? Is it too late to find your passion? Branson found his calling at 16, Jesus began his ministry at 30, and Lincoln entered National Politics at 37. If you don’t know your passion now that doesn’t matter, many of the happiest people in history didn’t find their passion until later in life. So what can you do now?

Don’t Chase the White Rabbit
I know the feeling. You finally got a steady job and you’re making more money then you ever had. Now it’s time to get everything you want in life. To go for the dream. MONEY/MATERIAL POSSESSIONS DOES NOT EQUAL HAPPINESS. Our generation is suffering under loads of debt, which traps us into jobs we don’t like, which makes us unhappy. As the saying goes people buy stuff they don’t need, with money they don’t have, to impress people they don’t like. You can still do things you enjoy while saving up money and paying down debt. Through one of my 30 day plans I gave up tv for a month and now don’t have one because I learned how little I actually missed it. Cut things that don't matter and really splurge and relish in your true passions. (If you need help with debt message me and we can work on a plan together)

Get the Pieces
Start acquiring skillsets for your dream career through activities that you find interesting. I know that I eventually want to run some sort of business. I don’t know what that business will be so I pick up general business skills. I read books on how to run businesses, magazines, case studies, etc. to try and pick up information that will help me in the future. I volunteer for speaking roles at work and participate in Toastmasters International to help improve my communication skills. I locate others who have had success as entrepreneurs and listen to speeches they have given or ask them questions. I write this blog to improve my writing (slowly yet surely). Do things you enjoy.

Stay The Course
Don’t listen to anyone else. I can’t stress this enough. If you want something bad enough there will be people that don’t believe in your dream because they can’t see themselves doing it. Greatness is achieved by accomplishing what others said you could not. If you believe it then you can achieve it. Have a plan and surround yourself with people who encourage you and help you facilitate your dreams. That said if no one believes your idea will work then maybe you should alter or change your plans to find something that will work. Surround yourself with positive people.

Start Today
If you already know your passion, then you should be pursuing it right now. If you can’t support yourself start small. I have a friend who is passionate about baking. Due to the fact that she has a work visa for a specific Company she can’t leave her job. So what does she do? Spend all her free time baking for friends who pay for all her supplies. Even though it’s not her career she is gaining valuable experience and developing contacts that will help her in her future endeavors.

It takes a spark to light a fire. People who are deeply involved in their passion are described as someone who has an infectious joy. I want that for me and I want that for you. Think about a world where everyone does something they truly love. Amazing.

Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
-Gil Bailie

No comments:

Post a Comment