Friday, May 29, 2009

Crossfit

As I’ve said in previous posts, I think that one should focus on doing something spiritual, mental and physical on a daily basis. I want to share one of my physical activities that I have been doing since December 2008.

Crossfit is something I first heard about from Mike and then tried once Vas started the program around 2005. It’s an interesting concept. What is crossfit exactly?
“Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing.” http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

The workout is a three day on three day off workout that is actually available for free everyday on the crossfit website. I personally pay to go to a gym. There are gyms similar to this one all over the country.

The reason I do crossfit is because it allows me to be able to do any activity with relative physical prowess. My current hobby right now is rock climbing and before that I was cycling extensively. I have also tried yoga, competed in races, and played various intramural sports. By not focusing on a particular training rev I am decently prepared for all these activities and maintain an overall level of fitness.
The reason I choose to go to a gym is because of the competitive nature of the environment. It’s a great way to keep yourself going. Additionally, some of the crossfit activities require various items that you may or may not have access too (ie. Kettleballs, rowing machines, weighted barbells, etc.).

So is crossfit right for you? I think that depends on your goals. If you are training for a particular activity (triathlon, road racing, bodybuilding, cycling, sports, etc.) then you can probably better tailor a program that meets your particular goals. If you want to be healthy and/or undergo a physical transformation then I highly recommend crossfit.

Crossfit has had a dramatic change on my body composition. I went from being heavy set to a more athletic body in about 2 months time. My core has strengthened dramatically and my posture has improved. This workout is harder than anything I have done sans rugby 7s.

Note for women. Crossfit will NOT make you big. There is such a misnomer in the female population that lifting causes you to gain muscle mass and “look like a guy”. Believe me, the girls I have seen in the program for 6 months or more just look really toned and in great shape. Additionally, workouts using weights will increase weight loss, tighten you up, and give you that summer body so much easier then just dieting. Don’t fear the weights give it a try.

Note for guys. Crossfit will help you add some mass, but you will not see the same benefits as you would doing a hypertrophy (muscle building) periodization workout. If adding tons of mass is your goal then I recommend you doing a gym weight based workout and when you are trying to cut then go with Crossfit.

If you are interested I encourage you to look up a gym (a Clear Lake location was just opened) in your area and give a class a go. Most gyms offer a free class on Saturdays for noobies. I guarantee you will be beat after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment