Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm going into business... maybe- part 1

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost

I don’t really get nervous. When I do I tend to excel, and the nervousness doesn’t set in until I’m in the moment or immediately before it. That has all changed, and in spurts I find myself in deep thought quite a bit about problems that are unforseen or challenges that haven’t presented themselves. It’s part excitement, part challenge and part fear.
If you know me, you know that my dream is for entrepreneurship. I long to try and do something on my own. In fact, most of my hobbies revolve around self improvement with the core goal of making myself a better person and thus a better business owner. As I’ve said previously I’m in a “good” career from the sense of monetary gains, but I’m not challenged and I’m not passionate; and so I’ve always dreamed of moving on and taking on the world.

Placing Intention
My first step was started probably about 2 years ago, but really began in determined earnest within the last 6 months. I realized that no one is going to drop a business opportunity in my lap. I have to intend for this to happen through my own actions. So I started reading, writing, and joining organizations that helped me network, develop what I considered essential skillsets, and see what the marketplace was like.

Second I told family and friends about my intentions. This did several things. It kept me accountable, because those around me periodically ask me where I am at in my process. I can be confident in the fact that I am pursuing things that directly benefit my end goal. Additionally, it has made my world know that if they have business ideas that I would be one to talk too. This puts the intention out in the Universe that I am seeking to start my own business.

Ideas
So I read www.stevepavlina.com and in one of his posts he challenges you to state your intention during meditation. So I did that. And within a day I was talking to a financial planner who was a PFS which is a designation reserved for CPA’s as well as having a CFP/Series 6, and several other certifications. In fact he came from the same graduate program I did. He responded to my email almost immediately and gave me the path that I needed to take. It’s long (approx. 5 years), but I currently work with Crown Financial Ministries and at the very worst I am better able to help others. Which is really what a business should be, adding VALUE to the lives of others. This is one idea that I am excited about. (Ps. If you have financial questions or need advice holla at me it’s free and helps me out with getting my certifications/increasing my knowledge)

I’m selfish though, I don’t want one business. I want several. Financial Planning is something that I can do, among other things. So the second idea came to me while out and about on Smokin’ Sunday. We came upon a business that was just excellent. The product was what I considered exceptional and the price was reasonable. I had to know more. So I went to the website and checked them out. They are a franchise based in the Dallas area… interesting. I could open one of these I think it could work. So I email them just to test the waters. They get back to me promptly and I fill out their initial questionnaire. The Houston Area is full would I be interested in College Station? Hell yes I would I love Texas A&M sports (haven’t missed a football game in 2 years) and have constantly thought of ways of getting back there.

They read my questionnaire are not discouraged, but concerned that a 26 year old with minimal assets is interested in hoping a franchise that requires between 100k and 250k in capital. Good point.

Part 2 to come on Sunday April 16th...

No comments:

Post a Comment