Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pursuing Your Passion

Finding balance in life is hard. Often jobs get in the way (as is the case with me right now) or commitments, etc. This leads to a frustration related to a lack of fulfillment as you are neglecting one of your core needs (spiritual, mental, or physical). This isn’t my first experience with a lack of time and in this time of high work load I have utilized several ideas to help me better achieve my needs with the amount of time I’ve had.

Search for Your True Self
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to decide what I’m passionate about and realized that a large part of my activities are related to the idea of trying new things. I enjoy launching little projects or engaging in an activity that is new to me. This is magnified if I do the activity with someone who is passionate about it.
Coming to this realization has enabled me to better address my needs to achieve balance. In the area of spirituality I have explored Yoga, meditation, church, and deep communication. In the area of physical activity I have Crossfit, rock climbing, walking, running, yoga and cycling. Finally, for the mind I have taken up reading of several books, gone to the art museum, and explored the new activities listed above.

Identify Your Time Wasters and Eliminate
I realized that really TV does not accomplish for me any of my goals. I often feel more lethargic and uninspired by watching it. Through this realization I sold my TV and now watch maybe 2 hours a week. And really I don’t miss it at all. I was using television as a time filler and hampering my real goals and desires. Some people may get fulfillment out of TV. And that’s ok because happiness is a personal journey. What in your life is serving as filler and preventing you from pursuing your true passions?

Set Goals

I started a goal board to daily monitor my progress and allow me to have a high level of fulfillment at the end of each day. A large part of my goals are to enact habits that I want to implement. You have to know where you want to go or what you want to accomplish. Set yourself a task list of a few things that if completed will fulfill your day.


None of these ideas are earth shattering or mind blowing, because self improvement isn’t a destination, but a journey. You have to move step by step towards forming your ideal self and part of that revolves around pursuing your passions. If anyone has any great ideas that they have tried or things they have eliminated let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment